Wednesday, November 4, 2009

WFMW - Christmas Traditions





It is so easy to get caught up in the craziness of the holidays that you lose touch with what is really important. I have a few traditions with my kids that keep us connected and give us time at home to enjoy each other. These are the traditions that I'd like to keep throughout the years, the ones that I hope my kids will pass down to their children.



  1. Paper ring countdown. I have a small tree that I decorate with a paper ring garland. Each day starting December first the kids take a ring off the tree and do what I have written inside. Sometimes it's reading a Christmas story, watching a Christmas movie or singing carols around the tree. My son looks forward to this every year.

  2. Graham Cracker houses. I do not have the patience to make real gingerbread for a house. So we use graham crackers and icing to create houses. Again, my son loves this. Isabelle helped last year but this year she will be making her own!

  3. We have a small nativity for the kids that I got at our local Berean store. It helps keep the true meaning of Christmas alive. Each day for seven days you read a part of the Christmas story, then you take out the box and place the character in the nativity. The kids love having a nativity they are allowed to touch!

  4. This tradition is not for my kids but it is something my family enjoys doing every year. We hold what is fondly known as The Cousin's Christmas Tour. My mom's cousins get together around the first Sunday in December and we meet at my house where my husband has made a delicious meal. We then travel to each participating cousin's house so that we can see their tree and decorations. It's always a fun day and we end with dessert. I love this tradition and hope it stays alive for when my daughter is my age.

  5. Toys for Tots. Each year I take my son to the local Dollar Store and let him pick out 20 toys to donate to Toys for Tots. I explain to him that there are children who don't have much on Christmas and this way their mommies and daddies can get them gifts. Thankfully he hasn't asked why Santa doesn't bring the kids gifts.

I think that's about it. I love finding new traditions for my kids. What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about an advent candle wreath I bought at the end of the season last year - we'll be using it this year for the first time!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do what you do and we also sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. We have a Birthday Cake decorated with nativity pieces on top.

    We have a box that is completely wrapped as a gift and we add a slot. The kids slip a coin in the slot for every good deed they do for the season. On Christmas morning, we bring Jesus' gift to Church for Jesus' birthday gift.

    Stop by and browse a bit; I'm sure you'll like what you see. If you do, then don't forget to click the "Follow" button and just below that you can "Subscribe" to my blog to get informative posts and we can both inspire and share with one another to get our creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete